It’s essential you are placed in the right NQT role, as your first teaching assignment will have an enormous impact on your view of teaching for the future. Statistics suggest 20% of NQTs leave within their first two years; being placed in an unsuitable school where the culture is not a match, can often cause a disconnection between your love of teaching and the actual role. Choosing to register with a specialist education recruiter, who has strong insights into their clients/schools, increases the chances of getting the right NQT role for you.
The recruiter should be able to provide you with school background including:
- The atmosphere of the school
- What kind of after-school activities are on offer
- What support is given to NQTs
In addition, you should conduct your own research to reinforce your insight; we recommend you:
- Read the Ofsted reports for the school and review achievement tables from the Department of Education to see how well the school is doing.
- Give the school name a quick google and see if they have been in the local press at any point.
- Checkout Glassdoor, you will find reviews from employees on this website, although not all schools are registered.
- Of course, the school website is a great starting point, so take your time to explore that too.
We often arrange for our candidates to speak to previous NQTs who were placed last year, to provide ‘on the ground’ insight
Why register with us for NQT supply teaching?
- Work/life balance – you choose when and where you want to work
- Day to day, short/long term contracts and permanent positions
- The chance to enhance your experience and opportunities
- Excellent hourly rates of pay
- Friendly consultants, always at the end of the phone
View our latest vacancies here
Download your NQT Toolkit
Check out the latest Covid-19 updates from the Government